1. FREE Parenting Classes: Raising preteens and teens is tough. Wouldn’t it be great if adults could take a class that taught us how to help our kids avoid risky behaviors, all while learning how to say no to drugs and alcohol? There is! Guiding Good Choices is an evidence-based, interactive prevention program that provides families with the skills and knowledge to reduce the risk that their children will use drugs and alcohol or engage in other dangerous behaviors.
HC DrugFree is pleased to present this popular parenting class for Howard County parents, guardians, and grandparents starting February 2. This program will meet via Zoom for 5 classes (February 2, 9, 16, 23, and March 2) from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Adults should plan to attend all 5 sessions. Topics include How to Prevent Drug Use in Your Family, How to Develop Healthy Beliefs and Clear Standards, Avoiding Trouble: How to Say No to Drugs, Managing Conflict: How to Control and Express Your Anger Constructively, and How to Strengthening Family Bonds.
2. FREE Life Skills Classes for Students: Back by popular demand!!! HC DrugFree is providing a highly interactive skills-based program designed to promote positive health and personal development for youth in grades 6-9. For slightly younger or older students, please register and we will consider each request. We encourage siblings and friends to take these classes together!
This program uses developmentally appropriate, collaborative learning strategies to help students achieve competency in the skills that have been shown to help students resist substance use (tobacco, alcohol and other drugs), violence, and other high-risk behaviors. To be sure your student receives numerous perspectives, our instructional team consists of dedicated adults and older students sharing situations they may face in high school, college, and beyond.
3. All High School Students Welcome: HC DrugFree's Teen Advisory Council is open to all Howard County High School Students. Community service hours available. The next meeting will be on Monday, January 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. To receive the Zoom link, click here to register, email Admin@hcdrugfree.org or visit www.hcdrugfree.org for more information.
4. Student Volunteers and Interns: High school and college students who are interested in assisting with HC DrugFree's Life Skills online classes for younger students should hurry and email LifeSkills@hcdrugfree.org. We are building a new team and our volunteer and internship opportunities look great on applications and resumes.
5. Parents: If you are interested in learning more about what is happening in Howard County, the many free resources HC DrugFree and other organizations offer, or how your student can volunteer as they learn skills and receive more community service hours, then sign up for our free newsletter to get updates on events as well as information to keep your family safe and informed. www.hcdrugfree.org